Wrap up these final summer weekends these five picnic packing tips!
Written by Sarah Orrison
A picnic is the quintessential summer outing, we’ve rounded up our top tips for planning and packing the perfect outdoor lunchtime extravaganza!
#1 THE BLANKET
This may seem like a last-minute packing addition, but don’t underestimate the value of a good picnic blanket. The best options are waterproof to circumvent wet grounds (and let’s be honest, with littles around, the spills runneth over). Packability is also important; seek out lightweight, compact styles. Speaking of style, we can never pass up the opportunity for a bright color or fun print! These are some of our top picks for blankets:
- A one in a melon print: Waterproof, durable & comes in a watermelon print - need we say more?
- Check it out: Classic gingham and machine washable - cue the cute photo ops!
- Spread out your spread: Oversized, but easy to pack and multifunctional - *adds to cart*
#2 THE BASKET
There are a variety of factors that go into choosing the best picnic basket for you. Material and size are probably the most important. Wicker baskets are still the most iconic, but there are a lot of new choices available on the market that you may want to consider. Features like insulation and portability might sway you in a different direction than you were originally thinking. For instance, did you know there was such a thing as a picnic basket backpack? Check out the mix of classic and modern selections below:
- Tried & true: The wicker basket
- Convenient quality: Picnic basket backpack
- Cool carrier: Insulated picnic bag
#3 THE FOOD
And, now for the spread! The best picnic food is simple, yet delicious. You really can’t go wrong whether you plan to do all snacks and sides or want something a little heartier. If you need some inspiration, just remember the 3 s’s:
- Sandwiches: Classic Italian subs, pimiento cheese sandwiches or BLT wraps are always easy crowd-pleasers.
- Salads: Fruit, potato or pasta – spruced up or dressed down, these sides are yummy and fill those tummies!
- Sweets: Peanut butter cookies, brownies or blondies – you guessed it, these classic handhelds are hands down the best way to go.
#4 THE PICNICWARE (AKA TABLEWARE)
Of course, you’ll need plates, utensils and napkins to devour your fantastic feast! Disposable tableware may make the most sense for you depending on the day’s itinerary, but we love more sustainable options that you can plan to re-use all summer long. Just plan to bring along a separate bag for your dirty dishes and napkins, and wash when you get home. The below are great for on-the-go:
- Perfectly Plated: These melamine dishes are durable with bright designs
- Nifty Napkins: Highly rated and cute to boot!
- Super Spork: The perfectly designed outdoor eating utensil
#5 THE WHEELS
Now that you have gathered up all of your supplies, you need the perfect stroller wagon to tote all of your gear. Enter the caravan™! Spacious, with easy maneuverability, and can fold in seconds, the caravan™ is the key companion for all of your summer adventures. The large storage basket and vented zippered compartment hold all of your outdoor essentials (hello, perfect picnic items), so there’s never been a better time to dig into summer!